Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Press Release 10 Sept 2008

I have received several queries in regard to my decision to run in the functional constituency (Architectural, Surveying and Planning) seat and asked to comment in particular, now that the dust has settled, on the low number of electoral votes my campaign garnered, which unfortunately resulted in loss of my deposit.

From the outset I had no real intention of running a winning campaign. My only aim was to focus the debate solely on spreading the message of building sustainability and conservation. Electors received from me just one letter, printed on recycled paper, and I produced no posters or any other electoral press kit – everything else was done electronically.

I did minimal vote canvassing preferring to present at company / institutional forums and talk to the media primarily to try and get the message of sustainability and conservation over to the attendees, viewers and listeners.

Naturally I congratulate the winning candidate, the incumbent Professor Patrick Lau, and I am pleased that Legislator Lau has corresponded with me and affirmed his commitment to the cause of sustainable buildings and building conservation hence it is my hope my objective has been partly achieved.

The investment I have made in terms of money and time I consider well worth spent if it results, for all citizens, cleaner air, sustainable living environment, and keeping what little is left with our heritage buildings - never again should we accept another piece of wanton destruction of our heritage like the Star Ferry and Queen Pier.

At the end of the this new legislatures current term in 2012 I hope we can look back and see our representatives have made decisive steps to clean our air, make our buildings sustainable and keep our heritage intact.

I am hopeful that message has been delivered.

No comments: